We are searching for Registered Practical Nurses for 3 to 6 months contracts. You will be accountable for the provision of optimum care services related to resident care needs.
• Provides for nursing care in accordance with established policy, physician’s orders, the resident plan of care, and within the scope of practice of an RPN.
• Utilizes sound nursing practice principles, the RPN will ensure delivery of excellent nursing and personal care in the assigned home area(s).
• Provides care in accordance with organization policies and procedures, College of Nurses of Ontario and other legislation.
• Seeks direction from the RN when resident need exceeds experience or scope of practice.
• Facilitates relationships between and among residents, relatives, team members and community.
• Creates a comfortable and safe environment that provides opportunities for privacy, dignity, autonomy, independence and individuality and maintenance of personal lifestyle and values.
• The Registered Practical Nurse continually assesses his/her own nursing practice and learning needs.
• The Registered Practical Nurse works with the resident, family members, and inter- professional team to systematically collect data for the nursing and provides ongoing assessment and appropriate documentation.
• Demonstrates a professional working knowledge of all equipment used in the delivery of nursing care.
• Responsible for safekeeping of drug and narcotic keys in accordance with professional standards and organization policies.
• Ensures the supply, control and safe keeping of drugs and narcotics, ensures protocols are followed on all assigned shifts.
• Documents priorities, target dates and strategies or interventions on the individualized care plan in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for each resident.
• Ensures the strategies and interventions directed by the care plan are implemented in a safe and effective manner.
• Participates in root cause analysis with the team to lean and improve care of residents.
• Respects resident autonomy by involving the resident and the family in his/her own care plan.
• Assumes responsibility for medication administration and management.
• Current registration as Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
• Minimum one- year experience in geriatric, rehabilitation or long- term care as an RPN preferred.
• Successful annual completion of RAI MDS certification as per Ministry of Health requirements for AIS.
• Knowledge of Long-Term Care legislation, Long Term Care Homes Act and Resident’s Bill of Rights.
• Demonstrated problem solving abilities to lead unregulated healthcare workers and provide effective care.
• Well organized and goal oriented to be able to manage the resident home area and assign duties.
• Proficiency with WORD, email, internet use and computerized documentation.
• Effective verbal and written English communication skills required.
• Diploma in Practical Nursing
• Current AIS Certification
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certificate.
• Current Medication Administration certificate (if applicable).