Currently looking to hire a Maintenance Superintendent. Reporting to the Engineering / Maintenance Manager, Our client requires an experienced Maintenance Superintendent in a leadership position responsible for managing labour requirements and maintenance (preventative, predictive and proactive) of equipment/machinery and facilities. This position oversees the maintenance Supervisors and Tradesmen with a strong emphasis on safety, quality of work, and efficiency. The Maintenance Superintendent relies on leadership abilities, in conjunction with a continuous improvement / preventive maintenance attitude, root cause analysis, in order to support and grow excellence among the members. This role is expected to ensure the development of the Maintenance department into a well-trained, committed and spirited “Maintenance Team”. The successful individual must also provide equipment-related expertise and technical guidance to ensure proper work execution.
- Planning work priorities for the maintenance group in conjunction with the engineering group
- Ensuring the direction received from the Engineering/Maintenance Manager is followed
- Ensuring the availability, capability and development of competent technical and operational manpower
- Monitoring and providing feedback on systems and recognizing areas of “continuous
- improvement” and “best operational practices” in industry
- Planning, organizing, leading and controlling the work of daily tasks (planning, scheduling, execution, and close-out) and long term projects in order to meet department targets
- Planning work priorities for the maintenance group in Shutdown and weekend activities
- Understanding and interpreting applicable acts and regulations as it applies to the maintenance and services departments
- Managing and controlling of working cost and capital budgets, based on department requirements
- Evaluating systems and procedures to gauge effectiveness, then develop and implement alternative systems through innovation and creative thinking
- Responsible for the Maintenance department KOIs achievements, monitoring and variance analysis
- Ability to facilitate the development, implementation and continuous improvement of our standard operating procedures by educating, training, monitoring, and proactively coaching maintenance team
- Leading the development and monitoring of the department budget and long term strategic planning
- Identify potential risk for the prevention of accidents, completing safety /housekeeping inspections, and resolving safety issues
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Health and safety is a measurable responsibility
- Assist in weekly workplace inspections, including the completion of work orders and related actions to correct substandard conditions and behaviors;
- Perform daily inspections of the work area and document the existence of any hazards and initiate required corrective actions;
- Advise employees of the existence of any potential or actual hazards to their health & safety in the workplace of which you are aware;
- Communicate to employees the importance of adherence to established health & safety policies and procedures through safety talks, departmental meetings and/or work center briefings;
- Communicate and enforce all company health & safety policies, practices and rules, and readily correct unsafe conditions or behaviors of which you become aware, and initiate disciplinary action when required;
- Adhere to and follow all company health & safety policies, practices and rules for the workplace;
- Investigate workplace accidents/incidents of which you are aware and/or within the work area(s) under your responsibility, which may include but is not limited to conducting interviews with employees, investigating the incident scene, preparing incident investigation reports, and implementing corrective actions.
- In the event of a critical injury, ensure the Operations Manager is notified immediately and a worker representative of the Joint Health & Safety Committee is notified to assist with the investigation;
- Support employees impaired through injury or illness to safely return to work (Return to Work program) in conjunction with the HSE Coordinator;
- Comply with legislative requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, including the Duties of a Supervisor and Duties of the Employer as outlined in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, s. 27 and 28 and all other applicable legal requirements.
- Issue safety tickets when infractions are evident
Education: Post Secondary Education – Diploma or Degree in a related field
C of Q – Millwright (preferred not required)
C of Q – Electrician (preferred not required)
5 to 8 yrs. of relevant experience in a leadership position as Maintenance Superintendent level combined with excellent interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and team building skills.
- Preferable hands-on Allen-Bradley PLC Software RSLogix 500 and MicroLogix 5000 skills
- Robotics (Motoman, Fanuc) and automation experience
- Proven ability in safety management, leadership, employee coaching and development.
- Experience with spare parts management and purchasing.
- Excellent technical hands-on skills accompanied with in-deep working knowledge of an industrial environment standards and regulations.
- Experience in supervising technical staff in unionized environment.
Proficient in MS-Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), MP2, (AutoCAD and SolidWorks would be an asset)
Qualified candidates please contact Tracey at (905) 361 - 3987 ext. 113 for immediate consideration.