The Housekeeping Aide performs general housekeeping activities within the established guidelines related to health and safety, infection control, quality management and the organization standards.
As a valued member of the team, the Housekeeping Aide demonstrates a commitment to resident safety by providing quality care in accordance with the organization’s vision and mission.
- Provides all aspects of environmental cleaning in assigned work areas.
- Following standardized procedures, is responsible to ensure daily the neatness and cleanliness of residents’ rooms, offices and common areas including, but not limited to, rooms and equipment including: furniture, closets, windows, walls, floors, shower and tub rooms, washrooms, reception area, break rooms, etc.
- Prepares room for new occupant following prescribed procedures to ensure tour ready at all times.
- Using specified cleaning/disinfecting/sanitizing agents, maintains optimal levels of infection control within the work area.
- Working knowledge of operational policies and procedures, and objectives regarding quality improvement, safety, and infection control protocols, and legislative and regulatory standards.
- Participates in multidisciplinary committee work, team member meetings and all mandatory and pertinent in-services sessions as required.
- Supports and participates in quality initiatives by providing input and suggestions for improvement, reporting feedback to immediate supervisor.
- Check that supplies are adequate in housekeeping and equipment is in proper working order before commencing daily routine. Report any shortages, equipment concerns or over use of supplies to manager.
- Collect and dispose of garbage in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Put stock and supplies away on delivery as required.
- Clean, sanitizes, and performs duties, including but not limited to: routine, deep, terminal and discharge cleaning, floor cleaning and maintenance, and waste management according to schedules.
- Participates in an effective orientation and performance management process in accordance with organization standards for all team members within the housekeeping department.
- Maintains personal accountability for completion of monthly audits as assigned.
- Knows and interprets MOHLTC legislation, regulation and process.
- Contributes to the implementation of processes and systems to ensure compliance to all standards on an ongoing basis.
- Knowledgeable of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and ensures privacy while carrying out cleaning duties.
- Work in accordance with the organization’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures and in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Current WHMIS Certificate.
- Previous Housekeeping experience required.
- Previous experience in Institutional Cleaning/Laundry in a long-term care setting is desirable.
- Knowledge related to infection control, cleaning practices, housekeeping operations and equipment
- Ability to read, write English and follow written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate with residents and team members.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills required.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Interaction with male and female residents of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds;
- Combination of natural light and fluorescent lighting;
- Exposure to the elements (external building and property);
- Exposure to variable temperatures both hot and cold;
- Lifting alone and with assistance;
- Pushing/pulling content;
- Crouching, kneeling, stooping/bending for short periods of time;
- Walking and climbing stairs frequently;
- Standing for long periods of time;
- Engagement and/or exposure to various therapy programs focused on providing residents with the highest quality of life in our Homes including but not limited to pet therapy, spiritual events and musical therapy.