Are you familiar with Health and Safety programs? Would you like to work for a company that values its employees? If so, this is the ideal opportunity for you! We are currently looking for a Health and Safety specialist to be part of our clients’ team of professionals specializing in the freight transportation and logistics solutions industry.
The Health and Safety Specialist interacts with management and employees at all locations to maintain, administer and continuously improve upon a comprehensive health and safety program.
Duties include policy writing, training, leading the Joint Health and Safety Committee and conducting audits and investigations.
Experience in warehousing is required. The role requires travel to 3 locations in the GTA (Mississauga and Brampton). Occasional travel to BC and Alberta is required.
Your tasks as a Health & Safety Specialist :
- Maintain and administer a comprehensive Occupational Health and Safety Program across all locations (currently 3 in Mississauga, 1 in British Columbia, 1 in Calgary) including Company policies, procedures, job analyses and physical demands descriptions, ensuring the Company meets all applicable statutory requirements
- Maintain / update all materials related to health and safety including but not limited to safety boards, postings, manuals, policies and procedures, forms, MSDS sheets and meeting minutes
- Determine PPE (personal protective equipment) needs for each role
- Maintain / create documentation and plans as required e. fall protection, lock out / tag out, etc.
- Identify key health and safety metrics
- Track and measure trends
- Report on those metrics, providing recommendations and introducing initiatives to improve health and safety and prevent incidents
- Conduct regular audits and safety inspections. Identify hazards, assess risks and ensure appropriate safety controls are in place
- Respond as required by initiating corrective action to eliminate hazards and promote a safe work environment
- Conduct risk assessments and job hazard analysis as required
- Inspect and evaluate the workplace environment, equipment and overall operational practices to ensure compliance with safety standards and regulations i.e. audit inspection checklists for equipment, training records, etc.
- Facilitate / lead the Joint Health and Safety Committee at each location
- Work closely with the Facility Compliance Manager on building-related items i.e. evacuation plan, etc.
- Represent the Company when interacting with external auditors, inspectors and authorities
- Coordinate and conduct required training
- Coordinate training with outside providers as required
- Training includes but is not limited to the following: new employee health and safety orientation, WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG), job-specific health and safety issues and risks, MHE operator training, First Aid, etc.
- Maintain records of all training, ensuring certificates and required training remains current and valid
- Keep up-to-date with legislative and industry requirements
- Implement programs then conduct and coordinate training sessions as required
- Work with all locations to maintain safety training resources and materials
- File Workers’ Compensation reports
- Assist management and employees in filing reports as required
- In coordination with HR, oversee Workers’ Compensation claims management and return to work plans
- Lead the investigation of all accidents / near misses
- Determine root causes
- Identify and implement corrective action to prevent recurrence
- Follow up to ensure corrective actions are completed
The required qualifications for the Health & safety Specialist position:
- Undergraduate University Degree / College Diploma in Health and Safety or a related Science
- CRSP designation (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) is a definite asset
- Minimum 5 years’ related experience implementing and maintaining health and safety programs
- Thorough knowledge of Provincial (Ontario, BC, Alberta) Occupational Health and Safety Acts and Regulations as well as industry specific (warehouse) requirements
- Experience in a warehouse environment
- Experience in a third-party warehouse is preferred
- Experience conducting safety audits and assessments
- Experience conducting workplace incident investigations
- Experience in racking assessment and inspection is a definite asset
- Valid current MHE Operating Certificate for powered mobile lift equipment is a definite asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in verbal, written and presentation form with all levels of the organization
- Experience managing projects from planning through to implementation, follow up and evaluation
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- Must have a valid class G driver’s license in good standing
- Ability to travel within Mississauga (30%). Occasional travel to BC and Alberta as required (up to 4 times / year)
Don’t miss this opportunity, apply now!