Our client is looking for someone with extensive Estimating experience in the Subcontracting space to come in and hit the ground running leading and managing a department of 3 to 4 estimators. Ideal candidate will be a working Manager, assisting in the preparation of estimates.
This position is responsible for gathering and evaluating proposals, shop drawings, specifications and related documents to prepare estimates. The Estimator computes costs by analyzing labor, materials, and time line requirements. The position is located at the Brampton Office.
As the Estimating Manager, the ideal candidate must be able to read shop drawings, specifications, navigate software, be detailed, and focused on the task at hand while managing priorities and deadlines. In general, this is a position where guidelines, structure, and established procedures must be followed closely.
- Set overall goals for the estimating department and ensure in line with Company targets and objectives.
- Provide leadership to department.
- Develop and mentor estimators.
- Promote effective interaction between departments including Operations, Engineering, Filed construction and Finance.
Supervision of Estimators
- Ensure estimating department policies and procedures are being followed.
- Ensure deadlines are met.
- Review estimates and draft quotes before submission to Sales
- Review and assess proposed estimates, and submission documents with sales and management
- Encourage positive working relationships with Estimators, Sales and Others within the organization.
- Review performance with Estimators
Management of Estimating Standards and Procedures
- Maintain estimating models
- Maintain scope and proposal templates
- Implement estimating procedures for estimators
- Review bid documents (specifications, drawings, addendums, bid alternates, delivery dates if noted and bid closing date)
- Prepare bid submission documents (quotation letter, various bid forms, pricing for bid alternates, schedules)
- Efficiently coordinate sending/receiving of estimating documents to sub-contractors and vendors
- Accurately prepare material take-offs and estimates in a timely manner, meeting all bid deadlines
- Utilize software to manage data and facilitate effective retrieval of information when required
- Effectively communicate with other departments and the plants, and focuses on solutions that optimize production and efficiency
- 10 years experience in estimating
- At least 5 years managerial experience
- Graduate from a Civil Engineering Technology program with 3+ years’ experience in the construction/concrete industry
- Ability to read and interpret shop drawings
- Strong detail orientation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel software applications
- Technologically inclined; experience with software, data and reports is an asset
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate effectively with others and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with all departments/ levels within the organization
- Desire to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, customer-focused environment