Description du poste
As a valued member of the team, the Registered Nurse demonstrates a commitment to the quality of resident care by providing services in accordance with the organization’s vision, mission and values.
The Registered Nurse is accountable for the assessment and planning of resident care needs, delivery of skilled procedures, medication administration and documentation in accordance with quality management, legislative requirements and the organization standards.
- Provides for nursing care in accordance with established policy, physician’s orders, the resident plan of care, and within the scope of practice of a RN. Utilizes sound nursing practice principles to ensure delivery of excellent nursing and personal care in the assigned home area(s).
- Ensures a timely and accessible admission for the residents including a comprehensive orientation to the home and the services offered within the home.
- Ensures that resident transfers and discharges are timely and safe.
- Ensures the supply, control and safe keeping of drugs and narcotics, ensures protocols are followed on all assigned shifts.
- Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care to meet the physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual, cultural and social needs of the residents.
- Responds to all emergencies immediately; acts as the emergency manager until relieved by the ADOC, DOC or Executive Director.
- Collaborates with the interprofessional team including medical team members, clinical specialists, and consultants in support of effective clinical care for all residents.
- Participates in in-services and education of nursing team members and other departments as required.
- Acts as a role model for nursing team members performing within the professional guidelines of College of Nurses in the applicable province and in accordance with relevant provincial legislation requirements.
- Directs the plan of care in collaboration with the interprofessional team to effectively manage the residents with complex and changing resident care needs.
- Provides effective guidance and leadership for nurses (RPN’s, LPN’s) and the care staff.
- Reinforces and works towards achieving goals and objectives established by the Director of Care and the multidisciplinary care team.
- Provides appropriate and timely reports to the Director of Care.
- Coordination of activities necessary to operate the resident home area economically and efficiently and in compliance with applicable legislation.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of policies and procedures that support the operational needs of the care community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Experience / Education / Certification
- Bachelor of Science – Nursing (BScN), Bachelor of Nursing (BN), or equivalent.
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
- Minimum of two years related clinical experience (experience in rehabilitation or long- term care nursing preferred).
- Successful annual completion of RAI MDS certification as per Ministry of Health requirements for AIS. • Current AIS Certification
- Sound knowledge and background in geriatric, rehabilitation or long-term care nursing including activation, activity programs, nursing and personnel administration.
- Knowledgeable with respect to the nursing process, developments and current trends in the geriatric care field.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the Nursing Homes Act and Regulations, the appropriate sections of the Health Disciplines Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Pharmacy Act, Food & Drug Act and other pertinent Federal, Provincial and Municipal Statutes which influence the operation of the Caregiving Centre and more specifically the nursing department.
- Certificate in gerontological nursing preferred.
Competencies / Skills / Attributes
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities to lead unregulated healthcare workers and provide effective care.
- Well organized and goal oriented to be able to manage the resident home area and assign duties.
- Must possess strong communication skills to communicate with residents, physicians and other team members.
- Must be detail-oriented in keeping track of multiple patients’ vitals, dietary needs and medication schedules
- Proficiency with WORD, email, internet use and computerized documentation.
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills required.